"The foundation stone of the grand building of the Council House (Vidhan Bhawan) in Lucknow was laid by the then Governor Sir Spencer Harcourt Butler on December 15, 1922 and the building was inaugurated on February 21, 1928."
The construction of the building was done by Messrs Martin and Co. The Chief Architects were Sir Swinon Jacob and Sri Heera Singh. At that time a sum of Rs 21 lakh was sanctioned for the building.It is one of the finest examples of Indo-European architectural craftsmanship of the twentieth century. The front part of this crescent shaped two storeyed structure is built with carved light brown sandstone blocks from Mirzapur (Chunar).